Goat Wrestling... (unabridged)

A story continued from an earlier post:

I had a ridiculous Nadaam weekend.  A brief foretaste: it started with us wrestling the goat that we were taking out to the countryside to gut and roast into the trunk of a Hyundai sedan.  The goat was, to say the least, displeased about being put in the trunk.  It was a pitched battle for quite some time.  He managed to ram the wheel and, unbeknownst to us, pop the tire.  As we were driving to the relatives' house to drop the goat off, we realized the tire was popped, but the spare was in the trunk with the thrashing and thumping goat.  That's how it BEGAN.  I have a bunch more stuff to send you.  Overwhelmed with it yet? Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:42 AM


Contrary to earlier promises, I didn't slit the goat's throat, as there was a very particular way this goat needed to be killed.  They make a soup out of the blood and so as little as possible needs to be spilled. Throat slitting is not exactly prime. They had us hold it down, and the grandfather took out a huge knife.
He made a decently sized-incision on the chest of the live goat, plunged his hand in, and fucking pulled out the heart.  The goat was dead in like 15 seconds total.  It was amazing.  I'm told that I will be asked to do this soon.  My god. They immediately fried the heart (giving me a hefty chunk,) and then filled the body with scalding hot rocks.  A blow torch took off the fur and a lot of the skin.  I went out to play soccer with all the kids, and by the time I got back they had most of the guts out.  We made "hoshuur" which is pretty much hot-pockets, out of all the meat and the guts.  I've gotten so used to eating guts..... Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:29 AM


[[editor's note]] This story was in recent debate with Ryan North, author of Dinosaur Comics, who I met at a conference at the University of Illinois. Perhaps a few key details were curtailed in the telling of the anecdote, which was also part of the introduction. (something to the effect of: "Hi, I have a friend named Bob studying in Peace Corps in Mongolia. He is a huge fan of your comics. He sank the largest cruise liner in the Mediterranean and has ripped the beating heart out of a live goat.") Apparently you do need to make an incision before digging your hand into straight up flesh. We are not zombies.

0 adventure points:

Post a Comment